Build New Mexico is a four-step roadmap that lays the groundwork for supporting a 21st century economy and giving New Mexico the foundation for a solid economic future. Additional details can be found here.
1. Bring People Together. Provide leadership from day one of my administration to bring New Mexicans together to tackle our economic challenges.
- Create a Governor’s Commerce Cabinet comprised of business leaders to advise me on proposals to enhance the state’s business climate
- Create a Governor’s Council of Entrepreneurial Development to drive focused strategies to develop small and medium sized businesses, particularly in emerging industries
- Create a Sector Strategy Council to bring together universities, businesses, unions, labs and community leaders to coordinate industry-driven development in industries with real potential for growth
2. Develop four Centers of Excellence at our universities. Make our universities true economic engines of the state that will build industries and create jobs for our families. The four Centers of Excellence will be:
- University of New Mexico: Bioscience
- New Mexico Tech: Cybersecurity
- New Mexico State University: Agriculture
- San Juan College: Sustainable and Renewable Energy
3. Diversify our economy. Implement a robust sector-based strategy to drive investment, growth, and jobs. We have identified eight sectors where New Mexico can lead the nation that include: cybersecurity, intelligent manufacturing, sustainable and green industries, bioscience and health, tourism and outdoor industries, digital media and film, sustainable agriculture and value-added agriculture, and aerospace.
4. Develop specific public-private partnership strategies to create jobs.
- Drive technology transfer and research commercialization
- Foster public-private partnerships to help enterprising farmers enter new markets and explore ways to enhance their products (and value)
- Stop New Mexico’s brain drain
- Attract millennials to our state
- Innovate, modernize, and make state government customer friendly
- Bolster our entrepreneurial ecosystem